January 22, 2009

things I think you should do

i.e. How to Have a Happier Life (in my personal opinion)
see a beautiful movie: I LOVED this movie... it is a beautiful film (as Kara used to say) that is so engaging... I never got bored for one second! I laughed, I cried, I was moved. Convince your husband to go (cough *Mom* cough) and see this movie. You won't be sorry.

spend time with/learn from people who are smarter than you:
I pretty much do this every single day. Even if you're not in school... maybe "smarter than" is a little harsh... but someone who knows more about something than you. Someone who has different spiritual gifts. Whatever. Ask them to have coffee with you and then soak it all in. You don't have to say, "hey, you're smarter than me, can we hang out?" People (most people, anyway) love to be pursued and invested in... so do it!

listen to delectable music:
my two always recommendations - Ingrid Michaelson's album "Be OK" and Andrew Bird's "The Mysterious Production of Eggs." (I'm clearly concerned with equal representation here.)
Both are just nothing short of delightful and come highly recommended by ME!

do something really fun and totally below your maturity level:
(i.e. go somewhere where you will surely be the oldest person in attendance)
for example: going to Jump Street - wall to wall trampolines.
we were the oldest people there by a good 10 years.
do something every day that scares you.

No, I'm totally just kidding. That would be a super lame thing to say.
Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

do shamelessly indulge in something you consider to be a little bit embarrassing:
like get overly invested in a reality show (i.e. join a Fantasy Bachelor league.) Or read the same books that 14 year olds are fawning over (i.e. Twilight. All 4.) I'm not sorry. Sidenote: one of my Bachelor girls got the boot this week. Sayonara, Kari.
admit you were wrong about something:
So, I finally (eons later) finished The Shack. And you know what, I didn't hate it. Still I will admit, it was not my favorite book ever - nor was it all that well-written. But when I let myself be open to what its message was, I found some things that REALLY hit home. A big huge shout out to Jennifer Shively for bringing this to my attention. I spoke a little too soon. Pulitzer Prize winning it is not, but theologically interesting it certainly was.

watch tv on dvd.
A personal favorite. This category also includes watching tv online, which I think is just as fun. I have admittedly watched a great deal of Doogie Howser, M.D. - and I loved every minute of it.

quit things that aren't life-giving:
Or... say no to things you don't want to do.
[What does this look like? Don't answer your phone if you don't want to talk; don't go skiing when your friends do; don't go to church for a sunday (crazy, heresy! I know); say no to taking someone's shift at JCrew if you need a night off; etc.]
This, I have found, is a freeing recognition: that I don't have to do stuff I don't want to! I still do, sometimes, but I'm not confined to it. This doesn't mean don't stretch yourself from time to time (I mean, you still have to do one thing every day that scares you, obviously.) Fyi: I stole this piece of advice from someone smarter than me. (See what I did there?)

Now I am totally going to plagiarize Erin Cooper here...
What do YOU recommend as a tip for a happier life?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

You always give me something to think about, Meg. Thanks for that.

Carrie said...

I gave you an award! Check out my blog to see what it is! :)

Anonymous said...

Well of course #1 tip for a happier life is to read my blog (I jest). I would also confirm your last tip and, in the words of Happiness Project writer Gretchen Rubin, realize that what's fun for other people is not necessarily fun for you, and vice versa. Free to be you and me!

PletcherFamily said...

Great post - I love it!!