March 29, 2011

running errands [things that are my favorite]

I am not a particularly organized human when it comes to my personal life. I can do jobs and be successful and graduate from schools most of the time, but I can't find a correct pairing of socks on a daily basis to save my life. I do however, against the grain of my own personality, LOVE a good to-do List. I covet that wonderful feeling of scratching things off, of getting stuff done. Sometimes [if I'm honest] I feel a little put out that more people aren't applauding me for the major accomplishments that I am accomplishing. But it's ok, because at the end of the day, I know what I did. And I know I deserve a trophy. Whether or not you're willing to acknowledge it.

I do admit to occasionally doing that thing where I put things on my to do list that I've already done just so I can cross it off. But it's not cheating because it COUNTS. Just because you made the list as an afterthought to that particular accomplishment doesn't mean you didn't accomplish it. Get the credit. Write it on the list. I also write really inconsequential things on there so that at the end of the day I feel like I got more done than I actually did. "Check email" or "get dressed" probably don't merit a whole line on the List, but the longer the List, the better I feel when it's done. And don't judge me, because I'd be willing to bet you do it too.

Running errands then, you can imagine, is like the end-all-be-all of cross-it-off-the-list productivity for me. I love to spend a day running errands (which, if you think about it, is a highly ambiguous term that can mean actually anything I want). Yesterday was blissfully full of Errands, and today I was applauding myself in my head for all that I achieved. I gave myself a big huge pat on the back for getting my phone fixed. Why did my phone need fixing? I broke it. So was it an entirely counterproductive activity, a time-suck if you will, when I really thought about it? Yes. But did that stop me from feeling on top of the world leaving the Apple Store? It sure as hell did not. It's like how I feel when I purchase something and then return it. I feel great after the return, but could I have saved the time by not buying the non-essential in the first place? Quit raining on my parade, please.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I want to get special praise and acclaim for doing what all other grown ups do every day of their lives. I may never get used to being a responsible adult; I will always expect that someone should high-five me for paying my water bill, face-kiss me for returning the shoes I don't like to DSW, fist-bump me for filling my car up with gas. Is that too much to ask? I think it's really not.

2 comments:

sarahannnoel said...

Obviously you wrote this about me, because I was quite certain that no one else wrote things on their to-do lists after said tasks were completely merely for the sole joy of drawing a line.

But if it is true--if you do this too--then I think we should share our crossed off to-do lists. I certainly know what's actually being accomplished as each task gets ticked off; I'm happy to applaud you for your accomplishments.

Emily Y. said...

My feeling is: we should all applaud one another for completing every day tasks. :) When Nick comes home to find clean, folded laundry on the bed, I love to be acknowledged for a job well done. (Doesn't always happen, but I think he's getting the hint that I like to be praised, lol). Most people's jobs are pretty thankless ones, so if we can at least get satisfaction from ourselves, our friends, and our loved ones, so much the better, I say!

So go ahead and feel good about yourself for the mundane tasks! Reward yourself with a latte even! (That's what I did today for going to the BMV to get a new license plate). :)