January 11, 2010

step 1: admitting you have a problem

I like books. Perhaps a little too much.
See the thing is - I can't stop buying them. It's horrible. Actually, not even just buying them - I will acquire them with whatever means possible. I borrow, I steal from my mom, and then, of course, I purchase. I like reading books, but I also like having books. My bookshelves are full and that pleases me greatly.
So at this point, in this pile of unread and neglected books, I have book club books (for this month, and last month, since I was a slacker), I have poetry books (cost me $6.98 at Barnes & Noble. I don't know how one says no to that), I have personal growth books, I have "Christian Inspiration**" books, I have books for clients, I have novels, books from friends, etc., etc. And this isn't even all of them! I sugar-coated this pile because I didn't want you all to think I was a freak. Which I am. A bookwormy freak.

My friend (another of my blog crushes, Sarah) wrote about this a while ago, and I thought to myself, "Wow, she is really out of control. Good thing I don't have that problem. I can stop whenever I want. Really, I can." Yes, little readers. You're right. Denial is NOT just a river in Eqypt. As this mountain on my mantle began to grow with each passing day, I realized I shared in her affliction. We were the same, she and I. The very same.

All this to say, I need to start reading and STOP procuring more books. This stack needs to get smaller, not bigger. Maybe I will even master the art of reading more than one book at once. Well, no. I don't want that. Lets not get crazy. Baby steps.

[**Lets spend a tiny minute talking about the genre "Christian Inspiration." That title constantly irritates me. I feel like people who are even considering Christianity are going to see that genre title and find it so cheesy that they can't even bring themselves to be seen in that section of the book store. I just think we can do better! This has been on my mind lately, as I spend lots of time in book stores. Thank you for letting me get it off my chest. As if you had a choice.]

3 comments:

sarahannnoel said...

It's CONTAGIOUS!!!!!

Kathryn said...

Hi! The "Shameless Saturday" is so big i'm just arriving now. ;)

I love to read, also, & have a lot of books. But i try to keep the ones on my shelves to ones i love & would re-read.

Do you re-read books? I know some folks who don't, but for me it is like the comfortable visit with an old friend.

Have a good day! :)

Elaine said...

I loved The Help. You should read that one first.