February 10, 2008

derek webb is a baller

taken from "Lover" by Derek Webb

I’ve always been a lover from before I drew a breath
Some things I loved easy and some I loved to death
Because love’s no politician, it listens carefully
Of those who come I can’t lose one, so you will be set free

But go on and take my picture, go on and make me up
I’ll still be your defender, you’ll be my missing son
And I’ll send out an army just to bring you back to me
Because regardless of your brother’s lies you will be set free

I am my beloveds and my beloved’s mine
So you bring all your history and I’ll bring the bread and wine
And we’ll have us a party where all the drinks are on me
Then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free


Derek Webb = genius lyricist WHO I was lucky enough to see in concert last night with Caedmon's Call. just think... of those who come He can't lose one! and we will be set free. Then my very favorite lyric of all DWebb lyrics... we bring Christ our history, all of the crap in our past that sucks and is ugly and broken, and He takes it for us - there is no catch. as surely as the rising sun... YOU will be set free. which for me is a really beautiful truth.

It's a beautiful Sunday and today I'm just pretty thankful for all that is so good in my life. mostly, from the concert last night (Derek Webb and Caedmon's Call) and church this morning, I'm just reminded of how lovely it is to be a part of a community of believers, of brothers and sisters in Christ... and to have such an amazing gift of life and mercy and grace from a Savior who values us and draws us close, just as we are, with all of our ugliness and selfishness and sin, to Himself.

glorious.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

What a beautiful reminder, Megan. Love you!