May 3, 2009

seminary prom? yes please!

Denver Seminary decided last year that there apparently needed to be some kind of event slash dance slash dinner for the students and staff. This event was called Selah Gala, and last year we shamelessly (and I do mean shamelessly) mocked the Selah Gala up and down. We never even entertained the thought of going... just made fun of all the people who went. [sorry for my closed-mindedness, friends who may or may not have boogied the night away at the Gala last year].
We (my very cool and popular friends and I) were then pretty shocked when last night happened - and we were pretty much all in attendance at said Selah Gala. I know, I know... hypocrites, the lot of us. It all started when one of our friends went on Student Council (we make fun of that too... I will never not think it's funny that a grad school/seminary has a Stuco)... and was selling us tickets left and right! Then all the new kids didn't realize it wasn't cool - and they all bought tickets - and then there were all of these moderately fun people going - and lo and behold, there we were at Seminary Prom... which is, essentially, what Selah Gala means. I think it's Greek. Or Hebrew, I can't remember...

Here is a recap of the night (which was actually pretty fun)...

We do love an excuse to dress up, so it wasn't all bad. Selah Gala - gotta pull out the big guns in terms of ensembles, hairdo's, and makeup! [While getting ready (yes, we got ready together, much like high school)... Me: "Does my eye makeup look trampy?" Chelsea: "Megan... it's Selah Gala. Put more on."]To quote Allison Cunningham: "Have you ever noticed that we have really attractive friends?"First thing we noticed when we sat down - this nifty little helper... you know, in case our conversation lulled. We took great pleasure in re-wording the questions a little bit. For example, #3 turned into: "Who (professor, mentor, or student) would you make out with at seminary?" Inappropriate? Probably. But that's how we roll. Then there was the dancing... my goodness was there dancing! Here are Chelsea and I busting moves:Luckily my prom date was a really excellent dancer as well...And then we were joined on the dance floor by one of our professors, which was pretty epic... her husband is behind in the shiny blue shirt, if you're wondering. Here is a picture of my and my hot date, Kenneth - this was the last picture, taken in the parking garage of downtown Denver before we hit the bars for MORE DANCING!!! I would like to note that my feet may be permanently crippled from last night's 9 hours straight of wearing/walking and dancing in painfully high heels... 2 words... worth it.So while I have to admit that half the fun was choosing worst dressed and laughing at reflective conversation, we had a good time. This weekend was really REALLY fun... which I feel is a happy alternative to the recent past. It's nice to just have some fun every once in a while... I have really good and fun and attractive friends and I am feeling pretty lucky about that right now.

I hope your weekend was as good as mine - whatever that means for you!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Glad that you had such a good weekend!

Elaine said...

I love your dress! Where did you get it?

auntmeggie said...

anthro!